Monday, January 09, 2006

Incessant Calls!

Last Thursday my itinerary read like this.

6:00 am – Wake up and start getting ready for the drudgery.
7:20 am – The bus!
9:00 am – Arrived!
Work hours are a blur to me anyhow. So let’s not get there. Suffices to say, tiresome.
7:45 pm – Reach home.
8:00 pm – Start cooking.
9:00 pm – Clean the utensils.
9:30 pm – Wash the soaked clothes.
10:00 pm – Eat.
10:25 pm – Get ready to hit the bed.

Then around 11:00 pm, trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring went the phone. Agonized and intrigued, I blinked in half slumber and groped around for the phone in the darkness. Finally as I managed to get it, I looked through the transparent panel and the call register blinked the name of not-so-stranger-hello-acquaintance whom is famed as the pain in the neck in our group.

I groaned in disbelief and despair. Cursing myself for not turning off my cell phone in silent mode [I always do it now a days] I picked it up as I knew he could go on and on trying to buzz me the whole night, screwing my whole battery life in the process.

He immediately shrieked from the other end “Hello Sweetheart. What’s up? How come no calls from your end in spite of being in Bangalore for so long now??”
I was wondering to myself, cringing at his choice of words “Now isn’t that a BIG hint in itself?” Audibly I muttered, “No, just been a bit busy. You know… settling down and all!”

The rest of the conversation went something on these lines.

P-I-D-N: Pain In D Neck
[IA] – Inaudibly
[A] - Audibly

P-I-D-N: Arrre! Poor little baby! Why dint you buzz me? I would have helped you, nah!
Me[IA]: Awwggh!
Me [A]: [in a not so inviting tone. Some of my close friends read this tone as sign of imminent danger.]Thanks but I can do it all on my own.
P-I-D-N: Oh! Uh! Aaa! Um! Did I disturb you?
Me [IA]: :-@ :-o
Me [A]: P-I-D-N! It’s close to midnight. I was half asleep.
P-I-D-N: Oh! I am sorry.
Me [IA]: Phew! He got the message. Now its time for tata goodbyes and then back to dreamland.
P-I-D-N: By the way, what’s the plan for tomorrow?
Me [IA]: {Groan!!!}
Me [A]: Haven’t really thought, P-I-D-N!
P-I-D-N: Can we meet tomorrow?
Me [IA]: What! And ruin my weekend. [I am generally not too high in the air. But with 3 weekends in transit + the P-I-D-N Mr. P-I-D-N is actually famed to be, I had to be a bitch!]
Me [A]: No, P-I-D-N. Tomorrow I am busy. I am going to meet my granny.
P-I-D-N: You generally are back by evening, aren’t u? Dinner together?
Me [A]: Can’t be sure. Don’t cancel any other plans for me.
P-I-D-N: You are talking about dinner… {here I seriously phased out of the convo}… what say!
Me [A]: P-I-D-N. I have a serious headache. Cant we talk sometime else?
P-I-D-N: Oh! Poor baby! Look at yourself. Try and take care na. I will give you a buzz tomorrow. We shall plan little something. Don’t miss me too much.. he he he
Me [IA]: Sweet Jesus!!!!
Me [A]: Whatever. Catch ya later!
P-I-D-N: Good night. Sweet dreams.
Me [A]: {Click!} Good riddance!

And I thought, he would have been offended enough not to call for a lifetime. But true to his acronym the next call I got was at 8:30 in the morning. Real blue blooded P-I-D-N.

Wonder why people don’t really get the message and get it straight. Would have cribbed about it all a bit more but lo! The phone started ringing again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kunal,

Thanks for paying a visit at my site buddy!

And yes, girls can also be tough to handle at times. We are devils incarnate indeed esp when we are at an emotional zenith and men are left clueless as to how they are supposed to handle the situation without it blowing in their faces. :)

Keep visiting though!

Neel Arurkar said...

And you were decent enough to use PIDN for him? I would have replaced the last letter with some different letter ;-)

Unknown said...

Ah! Public Forum Neel... Bro reads this! :)